The Sturmabteilung, known by the initials “SA,” were the original paramilitary wing of the Nazi Party. This organization was originally formed in 1921 and played a large role in the Nazi ascendancy and rise to power from the 1920s through 1933. The organization had a system of ranks and was divided into units, in a manner similar to that of the military. As with all of the paramilitary organizations during the Third Reich, the SA wore uniforms and had their own distinctive badges, insignia and regalia. At the time of the Nazi seizure of power in 1933, the SA had two million members. Following the Night of the Long Knives in 1934, and the arrest and eventual murder of SA leader Ernst Rohm, the size and influence of the SA decreased, but it continued to exist until the fall of Nazi Germany in May 1945. During WWII, the SA was involved with pre-military training, with the largest training unit, the SA-Marine, serving as an auxiliary to the German Navy. The SA even attempted to field a combat unit, at first as a Regiment, and eventually, an armored Korps- “Panzerkorps Feldherrnhalle.” The vast size of the SA at its height, and the length of time the SA was operational, created a vast range of different items of uniform, equipment, insignia, paperwork, etc., which is very collectible today.